January 4th, 2016 by Kim Krzanowski
I am not a cardigan person at all. I own a few, but rarely ever wear them. It’s a battle…I like the idea of the cardigan (easy, keeps you warm, can add a pop of color) but prefer the structure of a blazer. Well, that changed on a recent trip to Goodwill. As I always do, I go straight for the blazers and jackets. I always look for a cool pattern or color, and on this trip, this black and white striped “jacket” caught my eye. As I pulled it off the hanger, I realized that this “jacket” was the cardigan of the future. It has the shape of a long cardigan, but also a structure of a jacket. The collar detail is also great and brings just the right amount of interest. Wear it with jeans and colorful shirt, with black pants and turtleneck or over a dress (also found at GW) for work. Add a belt to pull it all together and you have recreated a cardigan look with a twist.
Here are a few other Style Savvy Shopping Tips:
- Look for patterns and colors you like-your eye will be drawn to them first!
- Be an equal opportunity shopper-if you always buy a certain color, try another color and make yourself wear it within one week-if you wait longer you won’t wear it!
- Always make at least 2 loops around the store-you will always see something different the second time around.
- BIG secret- check the dressing room rack! When others put something back, you may find that was the piece you wanted!
- Shop often and understand that you won’t find something every time- it just gives you an excuse to come back later and SCORE!